Sunday, February 15, 2009

Tomorrow is Monday...

This weekend hasn't been too bad. I have enjoyed most of it, but my anxiety about tomorrow at work keeps knocking at my door. Every once and a while, tears just sneak up on me. However, on a scale of 1-10. I would definitely have to give this weekend an average of 7.5. Not too shabby. The scales were definitely tipped more in favor of good memories and some relaxation than not, thank goodness.

Friday night, we just lounged around the house as previously noted. Saturday, we slept in a little. I hopped on the elliptical and then got ready to go for our afternoon out. Before I reflect on the events of the day, I just really want to say that I am not a fan of Valentine's Day. It is just so commercial and sad that as a society we need a day to say "I love you?" Furthermore, I remember back to elementary school days of Valentine's Parties. I remember my mom making me give Valentine's to everyone, which I didn't understand why at the time. I also remember being keenly and sadly aware that some kids would get a lot more Valentine's than me, but I also remember being conscientious that I would get more than some of the other kids. Even as a child, I was always aware of the bitter-sweet things in life. Now, as an adult, I still don't like Valentine's for the very same reasons... my heart just goes out to those people who do not have others in their life "to be a Valentine" with. I believe that people remember and experience more heartbreak on Valentine's day than actually can enjoy and appreciate what the day is about. I know, a pretty depressing viewpoint, but I can't help the way I feel.

Anyways, all week long, everyone at work kept asking, "Ooh, do you have plans for Valentine's Day? Is your husband going to send you flowers? Etc, etc." I just politely said no, mainly because it really didn't matter to me. However, we did have plans. T took the initiative to get us tickets to the Smuckers Stars on Ice Program. To be honest, we he first mentioned it, I really was not excited at all. I was not excited about having a "cheesy date" to a "cheesy event," let alone sharing with other people that I was celebrating this "cheesy day." I kept telling myself it is the thought and the effort that counts. I finally confessed this too him on the way to the event. He smiled and chuckled. He said, "I know. That doesn't surprise me you feel that way. I kind of feel the same way, too." He said that he just wanted to do something out of the ordinary and this caught his eye, that it just so happened to be Valentine's Day. We had a wonderful lunch and then enjoyed a very fun event. It was fun to see all of the performances.

The programs really made me reflect on the awe and wonder of how "sport" and "art" can merge so well. As I have recently starting practicing yoga on a regular basis, there is a lot to yoga that reminds me of my own "sport" background, competitive springboard diving. I love the distinct lines the body can form as it is stretched. I love the feeling of strength in holding a "pose." I love the grace that can be seen in physical flexibility. Yoga has acutely reminded me at how amazing the body is. During the performance yesterday, I had a renewed, or maybe even new found, appreciation for the combination of art and sport. Everything about athlete's movements, stretches, poses, strength, and endurance was absolutely amazing, so artfully skilled and filled with beauty.

I really haven't done too much today. Got ready to go to church this morning, actually got to church a little late, but my feelings snuck up on me again and brought a few tears again, so we went across the street and had an Egg McMuffin instead. I loved just sitting there and spending time with T. Very refreshing and still very much needed, even if that is what we have done all weekend. After we returned home, I did go out for a run to try to rid myself of the stress. It helped somewhat. We have not pushed ourselves to do too much around the house, also very refreshing and nice. We have just enjoyed spending time just being here and with each other.

In closing, I guess I really did have the perfect Valentine's Day. Just being with my best friend and someone who loves me. I guess more importantly, I know that we would have had this exact same weekend regardless of what holiday it was. I guess that is the most important fact to me and what I will go to sleep tonight being thankful for. :)

No comments: