Saturday, June 6, 2009

The Glass is Half Full...

About a week ago, I went back through all my blog entries and reread them. That really was fun to do. I was afraid of what I might find and cringe at my overactive thought processes written down as a part of "public domain." I was relatively surprised at how much I enjoyed reading my old entries.

I started this blog because several people had asked me if I was blogging through this process. After much thought and debate over a couple of months, I took the plunge last January. I decided to start this blog with two main purposes in mind: 1) for those who are interested in the daily thought processes and emotions that accompany this process, it will be easier to read a blog than have a 2-hour conversation every time I see them (even for me, that would get old -- no offense to any of my wonderful and supportive friends :)...); and 2) I decided that I would like to personally start keeping a journal during this time to maybe help remember this time for when our child will have questions about their adoption process.

What concerned me about my blog and enabling others to read it was... I was afraid it would come accross overly negative, I was afraid that it would stimulate people to "feel sorry" for us, I was afraid that it would push people away because they would perceive me as always being a Debbie Downer. Any of those above is the last thing that I needed and wanted with this blog. Please, for those of you who are following me regularly... please feel free to provide feedback and ask questions about what is going on. I really want this blog to be more informational, educational, and supportive of how everyday life continues on "normally" while you are having a whole new set of emotions, thoughts, and communication with the infertility or adoption process that is consuming your time.

I guess what stimulated this entry was I felt like I had had several "deeper" thought process blogs recently about coping and grief. I wanted to reassure everyone that we are finding a lot to laugh about on a daily basis. We have found our "niche" in life right now along this bumpy road. What keeps us going is:

* Projects that we enjoy doing -- home improvement projects; we are nesting in a very big and slow way.:) * Finding things to do around the area -- I think that we are going to head over to the Old McKinney Square later this weekend and/or catch a movie. * I think this summer is the longest summer that I have been able to keep my hanging flowers outside alive. Yea! They are beautiful. * I love watching for my Black Swallowtail Butterfiles to come by. * I am truly loving the reconnection to many friends that I have found on-line through FB and my blog. Thank you. But I must confess, sometimes being who I am, I do overwhelm myself with my desire and need to stay connected. :) * Trying to find new and different work projects to keep my stimulated in my field -- I promise, I am still working on getting my career realted blog up and going on-line. * My physical activity -- I cannot believe how fit and active I have become over the last 9-months. I truly feel like a new person, words just cannot explain. :)

My words of advice to anyone who is going through a difficult time, I think the most important things that have helped us through these years has been: focusing on the things that we like to do, keeping a schedule and routine, and be intentional in all of our activities and all that we do. Finally, it has been through reaching out to others, asking for help, and maintaining our friendships that has helped us the most. This has been the most difficult because it takes time of energy, two things that often run low during tough times... but is is truly the factor that you cannot let go of.

Well, on that note... I am off to a morning run before it gets too hot. My weight continues to be stable. I just want to get this last 3-5# off so I can honestly say that I am the same weight I was when we got married 10-years ago. I am almost tempted to open up my wedding dress and try it on to see how things fit... but then I would need to have it re-preserved again. Hee... hee...

Have a wonderful weekend and I hope everyone enjoys the weather before the heat of the summer sets in. Take care.

No comments: