First, a little more about me. I love to read magazines. My favorites are Everyday: Food, Cooking Light, Real Simple, etc. I do tend more towards the "home" and "food" magazines than others. My one complaint about Cooking Light and Real Simple is there it *too much* information and *too many* ideas, recipes, and things that I want to do each month. I typically just buy off the news stand every couple of months because I cannot keep up with the quantity of information that is in each issue!
Well, last night I was finally readying the April issue of Real Simple before bed. I have carried it around with me for a month now, and I am just now reading it. Once again, where do people find the time to keep with with everything? It just boggles my mind because I feel that I never have enough time to do all the things that I need to do vs. all the things that I want to do.
Anyways, getting back to my point... one of the opening articles was "How do you stay connected to the people you care about most?" It was good to read. Among the things discussed was Facebook (check), blogging (check), playing Wii with family and friends (check), making music mixes (I used to do that), scrapbooking projects for friends (used to do that), random gifts out of the blue (sometimes do that, used to do it more)... the one thing that caught my attention:
A reader had submitted her resolution for the year: "I am doing this think called Reach Out '09. Each day I choose someone in my life to e-mail, phone, visit, or write a letter to. It really helps me to stay connected."
I have decided that I am going to do something similar. In the past, I used to be very good about sending cards to friends and family out of the blue. It was just something I really enjoyed doing... I haven't done it for a while... but I think that I am going to start making more of an intentional effort in doing this for others again. (On the lighter side, T used to call me a Hallmark snob because I absolutely love Hallmark cards complete with the little gold seals! Hee... hee).
Through our own journey, it really has been the "small and simple" efforts that have helped us with our struggles. It has been the call, the kind words, or card that has come out of the blue that has made all the difference in the world. You never know when someone else needs a smile, words of encouragement, or just knowing someone is thinking of them. It's the little things that are "out of the blue" that make all the difference in someone's everyday life. Maybe that is what I can do in return. I guess that it is similar to the concept of "pay it forward..."
Today I started with two of my "newer" friends that I have become close to over the past year. There was something that was personally gratifying (and probably bordering on the selfish side) about watching them open their cards and read something that was very intentionally picked for them. There is just something that is so touching when someone takes the time to hand-write what someone else means to them... Words are so powerful... why don't we use them more often to build each other up is beyond me.
Today was a good day. I am looking forward to another good (and productive day) tomorrow. Good Night for now.
Friday, May 1, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
Thank you for sending me your blog link! I love blogs and I love you, so it's a good combination! I too get "frustrated" with my Cooking Light and Real Simple having too many recipes I want to try! If I make one thing, I end up eating it for about a week, so I don't go through them very quickly. I finally decided to let my Cooking Light subscription lapse and am just concentrating on Real Simple. Made yummy Chicken Enchiladas this weekend from the May issue.
Glad you had a good day and love the idea of giving people random cards/special things!
You are going to blow a ton of money on cards. A card a day for an entire year would be about $1000 dollars!
Come December, you can skip my day and save that three bucks!
Always the sensitive soul, my brother! :) And, as always, thinking you are one step a head of me? I have my resources... besides, can a price be placed on happiness? Thanks for keeping me in check and looking out for my purse strings...
Post a Comment