Yesterday was my birthday. I turned 33. It was a fun filled day with family and many laughs. I really couldn't have asked for a better birthday. Turning 30 didn't phase me, it was just another year. Turning 31 did make me cringe a little... Turning 32 was difficult for me. Where is the time going? Despite time flying by too quickly, how come do I feel "stuck" in life? It is this chain of thoughts over the past year that has made me come to understand and appreciate the phrase "thirty-something."
Each phase of your life is intended to move you forward to another phase. For example, graduation from high school is leading you to your first entry-level job or college. Graduation from college leads you to your first "professional" job as you start a "career." Throughout your twenties, you are establishing your life, your possessions, your career, and your independence. You are "on your own." Once you are established, what's next? For me, it was basically my thirties and time keeps going by too quickly. I am currently at a time in my life where I am trying to figure out where my 30s are taking me.
As I mentioned in my introduction, I consider myself to be a positive person. I know and realize that I have a lot to be thankful for in my life. I have a wonderful marriage and husband. I love our first home we bought together. I never imagined I would own multiple pets (2 cats, 1 dog), I love them all dearly because they make me smile & laugh on a daily basis. We both have stable and good jobs. We have wonderful friends and a very active social life. We have many friends that are as close as family. I am also lucky that I consider many of my family members to be some of my best friends. I (we) cannot complain about our life, we are very fortunate.
We are very content and satisfied with our life. We work at not trying to wish time away. However, we do realize that is one thing that is missing from our lives... our "own" family and children. We would not change anything in our lives, nor would we change any of the decisions we have made along the way to reach this period of our lives of "thirty-something." We just know how much a child would enhance our daily life.
That is why I decided to start my blog. We have endured a 5-year course of trying to conceive and fertility treatments that resulted in the outcome that we are not fertile. We pursued fertility treatments through 2-rounds of IVF. Our last round was last August. We started the adoption process in October of 2008 and were officially on the list as of the first week of January 2009. I guess you could say that we are "expecting" and that we are "pregnant." It seems so weird. It feels so surreal that it is only a matter of time that our dream of becoming parents becomes true.
The purpose of this blog has several purposes. First and most importantly, I want to chronicle our adoption process. This is our pregnancy. I want a journal of events during this time to help our child know how we are eagerly and anxiously waited for them. Secondly, this blog is also going to be a reflection on where we have been. Afterall, it is hard to understand where you are at in the present without knowing the past. Finally, I also want to speak about how to we have coped through our years of infertility and entered this "thirty-something" phase of our life in the hopes that it might help someone else.
My disclaimer to this blog is it is not intended to dwell in the past. It is not intended to regret what might have been. It is not intended to wonder and daydream "what if." It is intended to be positive and provide information on how to keep moving forward. I welcome all comments, questions, discussion, opinions and feedback. My only rule is that it must be constructive. Life isn't always fair, but that is OK. :)
Monday, January 19, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment