Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Everyday Life and Funny Story

OK. As T and I talk about things we want, places to go, things to spend our money on... there is one item that we cannot agree upon. T has a dream of owning an expensive "sports" vehicle of sorts. That is fine he has his dream, I can support the dream... I just don't understand the dream -- you can still support but not understand... it is the same principle as agree to disagree, right? Anyways, he is fully aware of my lack of understanding surrounding his dream cars. I just don't share the same interest and fascination of a owning a luxury sports car of sorts. I like things with function and purpose. What purpose does a sports car have besides going really fast (getting a speeding ticket) and crying out, "look at me!"? I would much rather spend that money on a trip around the world, a custom built home, our kids' college education, shopping sprees, etc. Regardless, we kind of tease each other about these differences in opinions, because, 1) buying a luxury or expensive car is not a reality anytime soon, and 2) the alternatives that I dream about really are not a reality anytime soon either.

So this morning, like any other morning, I was watching the Today Show. I absolutely *love* the Today show. It is my connection to the world and a primary source of all my tidbits of information. Anyways, today is Earth Day 2010... and the Today Show was highlighting new technology that aids in the greening efforts of our earth. Watching one of the green energy conservation tools, I thought I had a wonderful idea. The new "Pea Pod," was introduced to the world. The "Pea Pod" is the first fully electric car. This concept car runs on 100% electricity. I decided that maybe I could compromise with Tracy on his fascination and dream of *cool* cars. So I called him with my proposal. It went something like this:

K: "Hey! I know that you dream about having a luxury sports car of sorts, right? And, you know that I am not to excited about that, right? Anyways, I think I have a compromise that I am really excited about. I think I know of a way that will make us both happy."
T: OK. What is it?
K: It's a new concept electric car. It's being introduced by GM Chrysler today. It's called the Pea Pod.
T: (laughing) It's called what?
K: The Pea Pod... (trying to stiffle a laugh because she realizes how silly the idea sounds even though she meant for it to be a serious conversation).
T: (lol) What?
K: The Pea Pod... I am being serious. (now lol, too)
T: OK. Tell me about it.
K: Well, it runs on 100% electricity. You can use a standard outlet to charge the battery. It only costs ~$0.02 per mile to operate. It's really just intended for a grocery-go-getter around town because top speed is ~25 mph. It will be available for public purchase in October or November for only ~$12,500.
T: ... are you sure it isn't a moped? Nothing says power and manliness like a moped. (continues to laugh)
K: ... No! It is not a moped... but now probably isn't the time to tell you that the car is designed to look like it is smiling because it is a "smart and happy" car because it is saving our environment? (lol)
T: What?
K: Never mind. Just look up the car on-line, read about, and look at the pictures. OK, maybe this car is not our "compromising" car, but *seriously*... as a compromise on our debate on which vehicles to purchase "for fun" (if we ever get to that point in our life), then lets consider a new concept car... something unique and new that will help conserve our resources and protect our earth.
T: OK. I bet we can find something to compromise on and it would be "fun" having a true economical and green car.

At that time, the conversation ended and we proceeded with our work day. I have enclosed a picture of the Pea Pod. Do you think I will be able to negotiate Tracy into a compromise of a novelty or concept car that has more function and purpose than a Shelby Mustang GT something or another? Anyways, LOL.

No comments: